13 July, 2010

Prempeh II and the Making of Modern Asante by Mary A. Seiwaa Owusu

There are few who'll argue the fact that there isn't enough literature on West Africa. My main concern, as I've mentioned several times before, is fiction (which reminds me - my next post will be an update on the semi-finalists of the Penguin Prize for African Writing competition).

However, this post is about non-fiction. I was recently introduced to a book titled: Prempeh II and the Making of Modern Asante by Mary A. Seiwaa Owusu. I've started reading it (having finished) and right from the beginning--perhaps because I am Asante--I found it fascinating. It is insightful and educative, but more than that, it is readable. The author's writing style makes the content easy to grasp unlike many non-fiction books (particularly those with historical accounts).

The book traces the life of Asantehene Nana Sir Osei Agyeman Prempeh II, the history of Asante from 1892 to 1970. The author examines the relationship between Asante and the British, its neighbours and the various governments of the Gold Coast and Ghana up to 1970. She also examines the relationship between the king and his subjects.

The book isn't currently available on Amazon, but I will try to find out where people living outside Ghana can get copies to buy.

If you've read the book (or do in the future) and wish to post a review, please feel free to do so right here. If you've already posted a review in your own blog or website, give us a link.

Cheers,
FWoWA

No comments:

Post a Comment